Tuesday 26 November 2013

Eva Hesse



Eva Hesse
 
Eva Hesse is sculptor well known through the late 1960's, who sadly died at a young age with brain cancer, having been advised to look at Hesse work, she has became an inspiration within my practice. 
Hesse often uses latex to create her work which I find this material interesting, as it can used in many contexts, I believe it creates a spiritual dimension as the substance is delicate and translucent hinting onto a element of a presence. 

"Contingent" 1968-69
Fiberglass, latex on cheese cloth
I found the use of translucency within this piece influential as the piece is subtly suspended, creating a sense of a presence suggestive of a spiritual atmosphere. The latex itself ages reflecting an element of time. 

"Untitled" 1970
Latex over rope, string and wire
I found the presentation of this installation interesting, as it creates a sense of energy suspending elements to suggest movement. Although I didn't understand the concept within her work before, I now have a better understanding. Hesse at the stage of creating this piece was very ill, I felt it almost reflect her presence, this piece was to presented suspended but continuously to be presented in the future. The subject will never be hung in the same position, therefore it changes and experiences, reflecting a journey and wisdom. This is suggestive of an afterlife highlighting a sense of decay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment